Monday, October 25, 2010

Why I gave N150bn to UN – Turner

American media mogul, Ted Turner

American media mogul, Ted Turner, has said that his love for humanity and desire to bring an end to human suffering made him donate $1bn to the United Nations in 1998.

Turner, who is the founder and chairman of United Nations Foundation, said this at a news conference in Abuja on Monday, when members of the foundation visited the country to assess the successful polio eradication efforts in Nigeria.

Turner said, “I love people. I love the earth. I love everybody. When I come back home, my darling wife tells me ‘I love you’ but I say that doesn’t mean anything because you love everybody.

But that’s the truth and that’s why I gave the billion dollars to the UN because the UN is looking after everybody.

Turner, who owns the international news station Cable News Network, said he hoped to see a world where there were no more nuclear weapons while bombs are not dropped on people.

“I see a world that is different from what we have today. I see a world where we get rid of our nuclear weapons and stop dropping bombs on people but educate, civilise and train everybody. But this is a good start.

“Once we start doing things right, people can change. We don’t need any more wars or genocides. What we need to do is help each other and that’s what brought me into this and that’s why I am doing what I am doing.”

He promised that the Foundation would work with Nigeria until polio was eradicated from the country.

Source:http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201010265514896

No comments:

Post a Comment