Saturday, November 27, 2010

STUDIO VISIT:Hamid Ibrahim


Veiled

As a child, I used to draw a lot. I won drawing competitions when I was in Primary School. However it was when I got into Secondary School that it finally dawned on me that art was really what I wanted to do. I was tutored and guided by my art teacher then, Mr. Imo of blessed memory. He was a lecturer at the Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH) at the time and was also an art instructor at my school.
Training
I gained admission into YABATECH to study Art. I also have a diploma to teach art. Every other knowledge I have of my craft was learnt on the job.
Medium
I use oil colours. I have done watercolours. I draw a lot but I do not touch acrylic.
Influences
Kolade Oshinowo, my lecturer at YABATECH, is one of my major influences. However, I am not too much into external influences. For me, the struggle in art is listening to your voice. The constant struggle to better yourself is also part of this. You keep moving and trying. You keep telling yourself ‘I can do better'. Influences will come and go but you must be focused.
Inspiration
Everything in life inspires me. I do landscape, waterscape, figures and abstract art. I am a rounded artist. My inspiration varies. I see art as very universal.
Best work so far
I have not gotten one yet. My love for my pieces is temporal. I may like it for a while, after that the feeling is gone. So I am on the search for the best work.
Least satisfying work
After a while, I get bored. All my past works are least satisfying. No art work is completely finished. It's a continuous process.
Career high point
Success is what you feel inside after your work is done. I believe every work, I do can be better.
Favourite artist living or dead
I respect Picasso a lot. Also Rembrandt. My Nigerian favourites are Kolade Oshinowo, Yusuf Grillo and Gani Odutokun.
Ambitions
To do a great painting. I also want my works to have widespread influences.
Source:234next

No comments:

Post a Comment