Saturday, November 20, 2010

Curriculum Must Reflect The Needs Of Society — Bamiro

Experience while growing up

Beautiful experience. I grew up in a community where training of a child is not for only one’s parents, but the entire community. I always gave example of when I ran away from primary school, when the flogging was too much then. It took someone to see and say what are you doing there at this hour; and when I couldn’t explain, he reported me at the school. But now, who cares? Does any community care? Is there any community anywhere that will even care for you to that extent? Then also religion; I had no problem with religion because every religion was present in my community-Christianity, Islam, Egungun and then we all lived in harmony; quite unlike now. I don’t know what has crept in that the Muslims will look at the Christians as if they are enemies and vice-versa.

Challenges in office

Is it challenges of management, human beings or resources? I must say that God, and through the spirit of teamwork, we are able to do all these. I must count myself lucky that I have the opportunity of working with the team; and working as a team minimised the challenges. We knew where we were going, we have direction, we are not just working and getting carried away. We came with a vision and through commitment, teamwork and resources; we are able to implement what we had in mind.

Why there fall in standard of education in the country

You have to separate standard from relevance. If people are saying that the type of education they had was not totally relevant to the need out there; that means there is great disconnection. Maybe what they are saying is that there is disconnection between the need out there and what the system is giving to them. In other words, we could have a curriculum, which will really indicate the needs of the society and they will be properly incorporated, but you may not be able to implement the curriculum to the standard that the society wants; then if that is the case, there is no doubt that there is fall in standard; but we have to separate relevance from standard.
Read More:http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29804:curriculum-must-reflect-the-needs-of-society--bamiro&catid=104:sunday-magazine&Itemid=567

No comments:

Post a Comment