Saturday, November 27, 2010

Nigerians will play for big clubs when Eagles improve — Oliseh


Sunday Oliseh




Sunday Oliseh played as a central midfielder for the Super Eagles. He also played in that role for Juventus. The former Eagles captain was at the 1994 and 1998 World Cups. He was a member of the gold winning team at the Atlanta ‘96 Olympics. The Delta State born is mostly remembered for scoring a great goal against Spain at the 1998 World Cup, with Nigeria winning 3-2. He spoke to PIUS AYINOR on the telephone on the state of Nigeria football What are you doing now?

I am doing the last part of my coaching course. It’s the highest coaching degree in the world and getting through the last stages. Apart from that I also work as an analyst for a television station here...

What’s the name of the TV station?

It’s called BTV. It‘s a pay-per-view station. I am on my way to analyse the (UEFA) Champions League match between Man U and Rangers. So as it were I am on my way to work.

Where are you running the coaching course? In Holland or...

No, it‘s in London; It‘s run by the English FA.

So is that why you stayed away...Why didn‘t you push for the Super Eagles coaching job like your colleagues?

I don‘t feel this is the right time to apply for the Eagles job; the time is not ripe. When the right time comes for me to do that I will apply.

So like when do you think is ripe? May be in the next four years?

When the atmosphere is ripe I‘ll go for that and everyone will see. So let‘s just wait and see. We are all concerned about what is going on with our team. We can no longer beat anybody; it‘s a situation that those of us outside do not like. We all have to do something to change the situation.

We’ll talk about changing the situation but before then we heard you were coming in as the Technical Director for the Nigeria Football Federation. Is that true?

I sincerely do not want to talk about this. I guess it is the NFF who should speak on this matter. But in any case we had some discussion on the matter. We have been talking on that and I believe we are still talking. We all want ways to make our football work again and that is why you can see a person like Siasia taking over.

I guess somebody for that position should be a person that has managed teams for years...that can easily draw up programmes...somebody close to retirement; somebody in the mould of a veteran. You still look like a footballer to me...

Well, that is your opinion. So your idea is that the person has to be an old man...May be something like 70 years or more...

No, it‘s not about age. What I am talking about is the coaching experience...A veteran

So I have to work with every team first? Let me ask you a question in a way to answer yours. What is the highest coaching certificate in the world?

I don’t know. I am not a FIFA agent. I am not a footballer or a member of the FA Technical Committee. I am a reporter but I watch the people in that position elsewhere. So don‘t you think experience is a major factor in that respect?

Experience counts and that is true. If not that Finidi (George) was appointed did many people know the level of job he was doing in Europe? Have I not been working all this while? I have been working and I have got the exposure and experience to work at the highest level. I have been working with teams and coaches over the years even while I was still actively playing. I played at the highest level and I have continued to work and learn and that level.

Talking about playing at the highest level...Your set of Eagles in the 1990s played for the big clubs in Europe but these days it is either one Nigerian player is in Almeria or down under with Portsmouth. What‘s the problem?

For you to play for the big clubs they have to come for you; they have to need your type of player first. And Africans playing here must be better than their European counterparts in that position for them to command a role. It was because a player like Finidi was the best in his position that he was signed on and commanded a playing role; Babangida was good and they used him. Taribo West got to his position and played in the heart of the team on merit. I played at that level because of my work rate. So it is a question of what one can offer. There is no selection for football business at that level that is based on sentiments.

Is there any tip you can give to these players now that can help them to the big teams?

It is not a question of advice; it is a question of style; it is a question of development and ability to adapt to technique. Winning counts a lot. Teams love to win and they go for winners and that explains why we made a lot of strides with European teams at that time but nobody looked at our players since after 2002. The national team were winning and that attracted buyers. Until the Eagles regain their winning mentality, clubs will not look in the direction of Nigeria unless a player is clearly exceptional.

The whole thing depends on the viability of the national team. A viable national side will supply players for big teams in Europe. It works like that. If you have 10 ladies standing, men will start picking from the most beautiful one down in that order and that is how it works. There has to be attraction.

Everything about you appears basically football one has not heard of your kids for some time now. How many now and how are they doing?

That is private; my kids are out of it. Let‘s talk football.

But we almost see inside the bedroom of (David) Beckham. You are a public person. Is any of your kids taking to football?

Sunday Oliseh is football but my family is strictly private.

You are getting to the end of your programme ... What happens afterwards? Will that be the time to talk to NFF?

I like winning; that is the right mentality. It is because we don‘t like the atmosphere at home that we all want to do something. It was the worst humiliation ever for our football that we got in South Africa (2010 World Cup) and it has been a shame for us everywhere we go. It is lack of achievement that we have now glorified African Nations Cup bronze medal to become ‘golden bronze.‘ It is not only those in Nigeria that are not happy; we are not happy abroad too. Everywhere I go foreigners stop me to ask what is happening to your the national team. It’s a shame and we feel it here. Or don‘t you guys feel so too?

I can imagine how it was over there when FIFA dropped the bomb last week. What was it like on the Amos Adamu matter?

Hmmm...My brother, let’s continue with the football we are discussing. I don‘t want to comment on that. Please, bear with me.

What is your view on Siasia and the new job? What are your...?

I have heard so many negative comments even when he has not started work. Hey Nigerians, that is absolutely not fair. I believe a man will first open his mouth before you can determine if he is stupid. He has just been appointed. The least we can do for him and the national team to get back to winning ways is to cooperate with him and give him full support. No doubt he has a big task ahead of him but he is capable and we all have to support him to get the team back to where it should be.
Source:punchng.com

No comments:

Post a Comment