Saturday, November 20, 2010

Abati: The Other Day At The Hair Salon…

I WANTED to have a hair cut badly. The only salon that was recommended to me turned out to be a ladies’ salon, Hair World, on Airport Road, Benin. I felt like insisting on a proper barbing salon, the type that I am used to, where you sit down in the midst of other men, and the discussion is all about football and politics, and the barber does his job promptly. And you gather your barbing kit and move on to other engagements. But then the clouds were gathering, and it had been a while since I left Benin (lived there between 1985 and 1986), and so could not claim to know my way around the city that well anymore.

I stood there in the ladies’ salon, wondering how any of the ladies would attend to me. I was surrounded by ladies, all at one stage or the other of their beauty routines. And the hostesses  appeared busy: weaving, braiding, manicuring and pedicuring, washing, setting, relaxing and tonging hair…one lady was filing another’s nails; around the salon, there were all kinds of beauty tools: cream, hair spray, shampoo, conditioner, hair dye,  synthetic hair (weave on, attachments, extensions) - the cost of which ranges from between N1, 500 to about N350, 000 if it is lace wig, boxes of relaxers inside a special case, artificial nails, nail polish, posters of all kinds of nail designs and hair styles…

1 comment:

  1. If I could do anything with my hair, I'd cut if off real short and dye it platinum blond...and look good! Www.HairStudioLDK.Com

    ReplyDelete