Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Obasanjo visits Oshiomhole, Enahoro’s family

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Wednesday described the demise of late elder statesman, Chief Anthony Enahoro, as the ‘end of a golden era.’

The former leader also paid tribute to late Mrs. Clara Oshiomhole, wife of the Edo State Governor, Mr. Adams Oshiomhole.


Obasanjo, who arrived Benin, the Edo State capital at about 11am, made straight for the Government House where he expressed shock at the death of the governor’s wife. He urged the governor to take heart, noting that he had been in touch with Oshiomhole since the death of his wife.

Obasanjo said, “I am here now to once again personally pay my condolence on behalf of my family on the demise of your wife. I want to also use the opportunity to pay condolences to the home of our most distinguished elder statesman, the late Chief Enahoro, and of course to you as the governor of the state, who is the chief mourner.

“The history of Nigeria as an independent nation can never be written without the name of Chief Enahoro. So, it is a great loss to Nigeria.”

Responding, Oshiomhole used the opprtunity to call on his visitor to lend support to calls for the Federal Government to accord Enahoro a state burial, in recognition of his role towards the nation’s attainment of independence.

The governor thanked the former president for identifying with his family in its trying period. He recalled that Obasanjo called him “when this thing happened to pay your condolence. On behalf of my children, I thank you.”

He added, “I also want to thank you on behalf of the good people of Edo State on your second condolence visit in respect of our late elder statesman, Chief Anthony Enahoro. I believe he has played his part but it is now left for the rest of us to sustain the struggle where he stopped from.

“Some people have called for a state burial for him and I think that he merits it. I would like to ask your excellency to help add your voice to Abuja because I do not think that Chief Enahoro should be buried like just another Nigerian because of what he did for the nation.”
Source:http://www.punchng.com




No comments:

Post a Comment